Inspired by Tom Waits’ album selection, I downloaded and listened to the Nessun Dorma aria from Turandot by Puccini. I know the tune, but I’ve never listened to this piece of music closely. I’d challenge you to have a listen to it at a decent volume and not get goosebumps.
So this got me to thinking: what pieces of music are powerful enough to invoke a physical reaction for me? Here’s what I can think of. I’ll build the list as more come to me.
- Nessun Dorma aria from Turandot by Puccini (also on lots of compilation albums like this one)
- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, blending into the opening bars of Tonight, both from Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by the Smashing Pumpkins.
- Hallelujah. Originally by Leonard Cohen, but I particularly like Jeff Buckley’s version.
- Any Day Now from The Sound of White by Missy Higgins. I’m a sucker for piano-pop.
- Hurt as covered by Johnny Cash (originally Nine Inch Nails).
- Symphony No. 9 (From the New World) by Antonin Dvorak, in particular the 4th movement (Allegro con fuoco). Fantastic stuff.